Kaoru advises companies on general corporate and securities matters beginning from the formation of the company through exit, whether through a sale of the company or an IPO. His practice spans the firm’s Energy & Sustainability, Life Sciences, and Technology Practices.
Kaoru acts as outside general counsel for private companies and advises publicly traded clients on SEC reporting and corporate governance obligations.
Kaoru frequently participates in startup competitions as a judge, including the Cleantech Open, and presents on topics related to the formation of startups, capital raising, and securities compliance matters. He enjoys teaching and participating in legal clinics for startups and entrepreneurs, and has taught undergraduate courses in Environmental Law at Boston College.
Prior to rejoining Mintz in 2021, Kaoru was an associate in a national law firm, where he represented start-ups, entrepreneurs, investors, and venture capital funds in various fundraising transactions and general corporate matters, and public companies in public offerings and securities compliance matters. He previously worked at Mintz as an Associate in the firm’s Corporate Practice and as a Summer Associate.
- Represented a life sciences company in an at-the-market offering program valued at up to $100 million.
- Represented a life sciences company in a reverse merger IPO and a simultaneous private placement transaction with a total value of approximately $85 million.
- Represented a life sciences company in a two-tranche Series A financing valued at up to $15 million.
- Represented a life sciences company in an $18 million IPO.
- Represented a life sciences company in a three-tranche Series C financing valued at up to $18 million.
- Represented a solar development company in a $25 million growth equity financing.
- Represented an energy efficiency app provider in a $10 million stock purchase acquisition.
- Represented an oncology-focused biotech company in a $50 million Series C financing.
- Represented a public life science company in a follow-on public offering of $345 million of common stock.
- Represented a public life science company in a sell-side merger with a private company that included $87 million in cash, stock, and redeemable notes.
- Represented a deicing service provider in a $95 million sell-side private equity buyout.
- Represent start-up companies on formation and corporate structure, including drafting certificates of incorporation with provisions to protect founders’ rights; form of equity incentive plans and stock option agreements; nondisclosure, non-competition and invention assignment agreements; stock restriction and stock purchase agreements; and the filing of 83(b) elections.
Energy & Sustainability Legal Feature — Department of Energy Awards $118 Million for Biofuel Projects
February 23, 2023 | Article | By Kaoru C. Suzuki, Alana D. Agron
ARPA-E: Biden’s Proposed FY 2023 Budget Boosts Investment in Clean Energy Technologies
May 6, 2022 | | By Kaoru C. Suzuki, Riya Rana
SMART Program Doubles Capacity
January 5, 2022 | Blog | By Kaoru Suzuki
Pricing Overseas Carbon: The Rise of Border Adjustment Mechanisms on Both Sides of the Pond
September 10, 2021 | Blog | By Kaoru Suzuki, Luke Haubenstock
News & Press
Mintz Advises Bio Client Asimov in $200M Fundraising
January 10, 2023
Events & Speaking
When is a SAFE Note Not a SAFE Note?
Michigan Angel Summit
Recognition & Awards
- Identified in Best Lawyers in America as among the “Ones to Watch” – Corporate Law (2021, 2023)
- Included on the Ohio Super Lawyers: Ohio Rising Stars list (2021)