Bob is the managing partner of Mintz, and has received awards and national recognition for his innovative approach to management. Bob also is a seasoned trial lawyer with a very active litigation practice and decades of experience covering a number of areas including employment, commercial disputes, private equity, financial services, insurance, securities, real estate, sports law, and banking.
Bob has extensive experience defending companies and their directors and officers in securities litigation and related matters, including claims arising out of acquisitions, going private transactions, restatements, and allegations of financial irregularities. Bob is very highly regarded by those in the boardroom and those in the courtroom, having advised senior executives in challenging situations and successfully tried through verdict numerous jury and nonjury trials in the federal and state courts.
- Represented Apollo Global Management in conjunction with the Stark Master Fund litigation, a securities fraud case. Following jurisdictional discovery, Apollo filed a compelling motion to dismiss based on jurisdictional grounds, and the Plaintiffs decided to voluntarily dismiss Apollo from the case rather than try to battle Apollo’s motion in court.
- Represented Goldman Sachs and a group of underwriters in connection with claims arising from the IPO and subsequent earnings restatement of Opnext, Inc. We obtained an expeditious resolution of the matter that resulted in a full release of our client with no admission of liability and no payment.
- Represented Hexion Specialty Chemicals, an Apollo portfolio company, in a derivative action arising from Hexion’s failed merger with Huntsman Corporation. Won dismissal of the action.
- Defended Lloyds Bank in a fraudulent conveyance action. The month-long trial concerned the business enterprise valuation of a machine-tool manufacturer that later went bankrupt. The trial ended with low damages against our client, which were further reduced after an appeal, remand, and settlement.
- Represented the former directors of a US media company in a matter commenced by a litigation trustee. The trustee asserted claims that the former directors breached their fiduciary duties by failing to file for bankruptcy sooner to preserve assets for the benefit of the creditors. The case settled on favorable terms, requiring no monetary payments by our clients and no admission of liability.
- Served as counsel for a group of private equity firms named as defendants in an antitrust class action alleging that the defendant private equity firms and investment banks conspired to fix prices and allocate market share in the market for the acquisition of shares in companies being sold through leveraged buy outs.
- Represented institutional investors/bondholders in suit against auditors and directors and officers of an international conglomerate after bankruptcy.
- Represented institutional investors/bondholders in suit against indenture trustee after bankruptcy of bond issuer.
- Represented a major bank/liquidity provider in a dispute over the sequence and priority of payments on student-loan revenue bonds
- Represented real estate investors in a partnership dispute involving $500 million of New York real estate
- Represented a former Lehman Brothers broker in a securities arbitration. Client was sued by the former senior vice president of human resources, alleging that client failed to give timely advice regarding the sale of Lehman stock. Successfully settled matter.
June 17, 2022 | Blog | By Robert Bodian
November 9, 2021 | Webinar
News & Press
How I Made Managing Partner: 'My Colleagues Admired My Collaborative Approach,' Says Bob Bodian of Mintz
December 6, 2021
November 29, 2021
September 22, 2021
September 8, 2021
August 11, 2021
August 5, 2021
July 28, 2021
July 2, 2021
March 22, 2021
January 11, 2021
December 21, 2020
November 23, 2020
October 19, 2020
Mintz’s Bob Bodian Honored with Outstanding Ally Award from Chambers Diversity & Inclusion Awards: North America 2020
September 25, 2020
Mintz, Fenwick Announce Paid Day Off, Structures to Aid Voter Turnout in 2020 Election. Will Others Follow?
August 19, 2020
July 1, 2020
June 26, 2020
April 14, 2020
Mintz Members Loretta Shaw-Lorello and Karen Won Selected to Crain’s New York 2020 Notable Women in Law List
December 16, 2019
October 18, 2019
October 11, 2019
August 7, 2019
January 3, 2019
December 19, 2018
November 7, 2018
May 03, 2018
April 24, 2018
April 17, 2018
March 30, 2018
October 16, 2017
October 02, 2017
August 10, 2017
August 08, 2017
April 18, 2017
March 29, 2017
January 12, 2017
Mintz Attorney Susan M. Finegan to Receive 2017 Pinnacle Award from the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce
December 07, 2016
September 12, 2016
April 29, 2016
April 29, 2016
March 23, 2016
March 22, 2016
February 2, 2016
Events & Speaking
Male Allies in Advancing Diversity: A GOOD Guys Program
Mintz San Diego, 3580 Carmel Mountain Road, Suite 300, San Diego 92130
International Bar Association
Roma Convention Center La Nuvola, Viale Asia, Rome, Italy
International Bar Association (IBA) Annual Conference
Austria Center Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Boston, New York, Washington and San Francisco Mintz offices
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Commercial Litigation; Litigation: Bankruptcy; Litigation: Labor and Employment; Litigation: Securities (2010 – 2023)
- BTI Consulting Group: Client Service All-Star (2020)
- Chambers USA: New York – Litigation: General Commercial (2011 – 2022)
- Law360: “Top Ten Innovative Managing Partners” (2010)
- Included on the New York Super Lawyers: Business Litigation List (2006 – 2022)
- Law Dragon: "500 Leading Litigators in America" (2022)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Litigation Section of the New York County Bar Association