Richard is nationally recognized within the field of labor and employment law. His clients include Fortune 500 companies, financial institutions, insurance companies, entertainment companies, cultural and nonprofit institutions, real estate firms, and health care organizations.
He regularly represents management in conducting human resource investigations, discrimination, harassment, wrongful discharge, and contract litigations and both companies and executives in the negotiation of employment, equity, and severance agreements. Richard advises, represents, and trains clients with respect to the full gamut of employment and labor issues, including sexual harassment prevention, personnel policies, employee discipline, layoffs, equity and compensation arrangements, independent contractor issues, disability and leave matters, employee handbooks, and a broad range of collective bargaining matters.
Richard is a frequent lecturer who has spoken before American Express Tax and Business Services, Inc., the Institute of Management and Administration, the Investment and Financial Services Association, the University of Pennsylvania, New York University’s Annual Conference on Labor, and the New York City Bar, among others.
- Successfully represented Dial-A-Mattress in a full panel hearing at the National Labor Relations Board headquarters in Washington, D.C.
- Successfully won an arbitration, defeated unfair labor practice charge before the NLRB, and won the dismissal of an Article 78 proceeding in N.Y. Supreme Court following the termination of a resident superintendent for a property management company.
- Served as lead negotiator and outside counsel for one of the largest retail water and wastewater utility systems in New England in their collective bargaining agreements with Local 6 Offices, Professional Employees International Union (AFO-CIO), and Local Lodge 100, and the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers.
- Negotiated concessions in collective bargaining for BMG Entertainment in bankruptcy.
- Counseled the 911 Memorial Museum in employment and human resource related issues.
- Won an age retaliation jury trial for Atlantic Mutual Insurance Company in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District.
- Advised the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society regarding various employment issues.
- Served as lead negotiator for the Metropolitan Museum of Art in collective bargaining issues and advised the museum concerning diverse employment matters.
- Served as lead negotiator for the Moinian Group in collective bargaining regarding the sale of commercial buildings.
- Served as lead negotiator in collective bargaining issues for food purveyor H.B. Day.
- Won a complete dismissal of three charges filed at the NLRB by employees of a home security company who were suspended for creating a workplace disruption in the middle of the employer’s office. The dismissal was appealed and then affirmed.
- Won a dismissal of a charge filed at the NLRB by an employee of a telecommunications service provider who was terminated in a restructuring.
September 16, 2022 | Blog | By Richard Block, Danielle Dillon, Evan Piercey
The NLRB’s Busy July – A Harbinger of Future Coordinated Federal Action Between the NLRB, FTC, and DOJ
August 15, 2022 | Blog | By Evan Piercey, Tinny Song, Richard Block
March 12, 2021 | Webinar | By Michael Arnold, David Barmak, Micha Mitch Danzig, Geri Haight, Andrew Matzkin, David Lagasse, Jennifer Rubin, Alexander Hecht, Danielle Bereznay, Delaney Busch, Corbin Carter, Emma Follansbee, Natalie C. Groot, Paul Huston, Brendan Lowd, Nicole Rivers, Richard Block
September 7, 2011 | Blog | By Martha Zackin
News & Press
January 21, 2021
Events & Speaking
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Labor Law - Management (2016 – 2023); Litigation – Labor & Employment (2005 – 2023); Employment Law - Management (2012 - 2023)
- The Best in the U.S. (2008)
- Included on the New York Super Lawyers: Employment & Labor List (2007 – 2009, 2012 – 2022)
- Chambers USA: New York – Labor & Employment (2015-2016, 2021), Spotlight: Labor Relations, Recognized Practitioner (2019, 2021)
- Martindale-Hubbell: 2021 Top Rated Lawyer
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- President, The Princeton Club of New York City
- President, Partridge-Invitation Scholarship Foundation
- Member, Board of Governors of the Princeton Club of New York
- Member, CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution
- Member, Fellows of the American Bar Foundation
- Member, American Bar Association
- Past Member, Princeton University Alumni Advisory Council for Human Resources
- Past Member, the New York Board of the Simon Wiesenthal Tolerance Center
- Past Member, Board of Community Access for the Mentally Ill Homeless