Paul is Managing Member of the firm’s San Francisco office and Co-chair of the firm’s Real Estate Practice. Paul is a nationally recognized real estate attorney. His practice focuses on acquisition, development, leasing, secured financing, disposition, restructuring work, joint ventures, and other real estate matters. He has also served as counsel to pension fund advisors, financial institutions, and developers in connection with origination and restructuring of loans secured by real estate. Paul is consistently recognized by Best Lawyers® and other legal ranking organizations for excellence in real estate law, and he is ranked AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell.
Before joining Mintz, Paul served as chair of the San Francisco office of an international law firm.
- Represented the buyer in the acquisition of Macy's I. Magnin Building in Union Square, San Francisco.
- Represented a joint venture between a developer and a private real estate investment firm in the development, construction financing, leasing, and sale of Palo Alto Networks’ office campus in Santa Clara, California. This effort included representing the developer in the negotiation of the joint venture agreement, and representing the joint venture in the acquisition, phased construction, leasing, and phased sale of over 1,600,000 square feet of office and amenity space in the campus.
- Represented a joint venture between a developer and CalPERS in acquisitions and financings of large multifamily properties totaling in excess of $1 billion. A number of these transactions were structured as purchases of shares in the REITs owning the properties.
- Represented a joint venture between affiliates of Carlyle Partners and a Silicon Valley-based developer in the leasing and development of the four-building Netflix campus in Los Gatos, California, and the phased sale of the buildings to different buyers.
News & Press
February 01, 2017
January 17, 2017
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Real Estate Law (2007 – 2023)
- Included on the San Francisco, California Super Lawyers list (2004 – 2020)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Member, Policy Advisory Board, Fisher Center for Real Estate and Urban Economics, University of California, Berkeley
- Member, American Bar Association and Real Property Section
- Member, San Francisco Bar Association
- Member, California Bar Association and Real Property Section