Michael is a skilled patent attorney and technology protection strategist. He works with both growing and established companies to create, manage, and improve patent portfolios both in the US and worldwide. He works closely with experts in key patent jurisdictions worldwide to maximize enforceability and business value of clients' intellectual property rights. Michael also advises clients on business-critical IP due diligence issues, patent portfolio valuation, and licensing agreements and has been instrumental in creative resolutions of potential IP roadblocks in high value transactions.
Clients rely on Michael’s extensive experience, accumulated over 20 years of legal practice, to navigate the nuances of patent procurement and enforcement in Europe, Asia, Australia, and North and South America. His skills in mining existing patent assets to enhance their value and in designing and implementing programs for protecting ongoing innovations are highly sought after by cutting edge technology companies.
- Michael leads the Mintz team responsible for development and management of the worldwide patent portfolio protecting current and future products of a market leading e-cigarette manufacturer. He applies innovative asset development strategies to leverage existing disclosures and on-going utility and design filings as part of an integrated, global strategy to interdict copycat products with a view toward market share protection and regulatory compliance.
- Michael co-manages a sizable portfolio for a market-leading German developer of database and business software products, and collaborates with other Mintz attorneys to develop and apply effective strategies for addressing the ever-changing patentability landscape for software-based inventions.
- Michael also co-manages the Mintz team that designs and implements a US and foreign patent program for one of the world's largest credit rating agencies, which is also a leader in fraud detection and other financial risk mitigation technology. The Mintz team has tailored the company's portfolio and filing strategies with a particular focus on jurisdiction and subject matter analysis to maximize the value of the company’s legal spend while securing protection in the markets where the company is most likely to achieve grant of valuable, enforceable assets.
December 1, 2021 | Blog | By Michael Van Loy, Kevin Amendt, Nicholas Eadie
July 7, 2021 | Blog | By Michael Van Loy, Kevin Amendt, Nicholas Eadie
February 25, 2021 | Blog | By Michael Van Loy, Joshua Berk
February 9, 2021 | Blog | By Michael Van Loy, F. Jason Far-hadian, Mark Hammond
June 23, 2020 | Blog | By Michael Van Loy, Joshua Berk
June 28, 2019 | Blog | By Michael Van Loy
March 21, 2017 | Blog | By Michael Van Loy, Nicholas Mouton
February 16, 2017 | Advisory | By Michael Van Loy, Michael Renaud, Sandra Badin, Matthew Karambelas, Nicholas Mouton
November 8, 2016 | Blog | By Michael Van Loy
Another Friendly Reminder from the CAFC - Use of "the Present Invention" is Clear and Unequivocal Evidence of Disavowal
October 18, 2016 | Blog | By Michael Van Loy, Nicholas Mouton
News & Press
Events & Speaking
Practising Law Institute
PLI California Center 685 Market Street San Francisco, CA
University of California, Berkeley
The Knowledge Group
Recognition & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America: Patent Law (2021-2023)
- Included on the San Diego Super Lawyers Rising Star: Intellectual Property list (2016)