Regulatory Compliance, Permitting, Approvals & Appeals
Removing Road Blocks to Propel Projects
Regardless of your company's or project's size, compliance and permitting challenges threaten your balance sheet and your schedule. You need a partner with the know-how to chart the best course. We'll help you secure the state, federal, and local environmental approvals and permits needed to move your project forward — on budget and on time.Share Awards
Practice ranked Band 1 in Massachusetts
Mintz assisted a global gaming resort with redeveloping a Brownfield site. Mintz attorneys advised the client on risks related to contamination on the former chemical manufacturing site and helped the client defend its construction permits, Chapter 91 license, and MEPA certificate.
For 20 years, Mintz has represented a client in real estate purchases, leases, development projects, and sale and leaseback deals involving more than 3,500 of the company’s retail properties. Mintz also developed a due diligence and compliance protocol for current or former brownfields properties.
After helping GE negotiate an agreement with MassDevelopment to sell 2.7 acres on Boston’s Fort Point Channel, Mintz represented GE in the sale and a leaseback of two historic brick buildings on the site from the new owner — all within six months of the initial discussions.
Our attorneys have a track record of success in permitting complex, highly visible, and often controversial and contested projects. We help our clients anticipate and address agency concerns. And we develop permitting and litigation strategies that prevent or withstand challenges by regulators and interest groups.
Success Across Development Types
- Energy projects
- Hospitality/hotel projects
- Waterfront mixed-use developments
- Solid and hazardous waste management facilities
- Industrial facilities
- Regional shopping centers
- Residential developments
- Conduct internal investigations; prepare self-disclosures; respond to agency inspections
- Negotiate National Environmental Policy Act and related state processes
- Prepare environmental impact reports
- Obtain Section 404 permits under the Clean Water Act
- Navigate wetlands and coastal zone regulatory requirements
- Adjudicate appeals before federal and state agencies
- Strategize for permit hearings before zoning boards, health boards, and conservation commissions
- Conduct training programs and provide advice concerning compliance with environmental laws
What Our Clients Are Saying
"Mintz and ML Strategies were the perfect partners, bringing together a broad range of legal expertise, strategic government relations thinking, and a deep understanding of all things Boston."