- Represented an institutional investor in a multiyear, $380 million programmatic joint venture for student housing.
- Represented the same institutional investor in multiple tranches of a $200 million programmatic joint venture for senior housing and a $150 million programmatic joint venture for office and land acquisition.
- Represented an institutional investor in its $100 million, majority partner investment in a programmatic joint venture to acquire medical office buildings and other health care assets. Also represented a second investor in a planned similar programmatic joint venture with the same operating partner.
- Represented a family office in the formation of a joint venture to acquire and develop a 270-unit apartment complex with ground floor retail space in Hollywood, California, from a private seller. The transaction involved acquisition and financing from a life insurance company.
- Represented a private real estate investment firm in the acquisition in a joint venture of an office tower in Boston, Massachusetts valued at over $850 million, the largest acquisition in the city’s history.
- Represented a joint venture between a developer and CalPERS in acquisitions and financings of large multifamily properties totaling in excess of $1 billion.
- Represented a real estate company in the formation of multi-tiered joint ventures to acquire a portfolio of regional malls.
- Handled a workout for a retail center in Lahaina, Hawaii on behalf of a joint venture as borrower/ground lessee, involving a partner buy-out, discounted payoff of leasehold financing from an institutional lender, and restructuring of a ground lease with a prominent local land owner. Handled all aspects of the transaction, including loan documents and ground lease documents.
- Represented a private real estate investment firm in a joint venture to develop commercial and residential space in the Hudson Yards section of Manhattan.
- Represented a joint venture in the development of a 525,000-square-foot office building and companion 950-space public parking garage, including land acquisition, land use permits and approvals, negotiation of a payment in lieu of taxes agreement, and environmental remediation matters.
- Represented a private equity fund in the formation of a preferred equity joint venture to develop a multifamily residential complex that involved contributing the property to the joint venture and construction financing.
- Represented a joint venture between affiliates of Carlyle Partners and a Silicon Valley-based developer in the leasing and development of the four-building Netflix campus in Los Gatos, California, and the phased sale of the buildings to different buyers.
- Represented a joint venture partner in the development of a mixed-use (residential, hotel and retail) project at 11th Avenue and 18th Street in New York City.
- Represented a Hong Kong family in a joint venture to develop a boutique hotel in Chinatown.
- Restructured a joint venture between affiliates of TIAA and RXR Realty for a 14-property suburban office portfolio located in New York and New Jersey.
- Represented an institutional investor in a ground-up development joint venture with a developer for Fenway Center Phase 1, a 340,000-square-foot multifamily and retail complex in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Represented a joint venture between a developer and a private real estate investment firm in the ground-up development of over 1.6 million square feet of office and amenity space in addition to structured parking, fully leased to Palo Alto Networks, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Aruba Networks, Rovi Corporation, Lenovo (US), Akamai, and other technology companies.
- Represented a private real estate investment firm in the formation of a joint venture with a multifamily investment firm for the acquisition of a 16-building multifamily community with 320 units in Phoenix, Arizona. The transaction involved acquisition and repositioning financing from Freddie Mac.
- Represented a Cinda Asset Management affiliate in connection with a joint venture to develop a residential condominium project in the SoHo neighborhood of New York.
- Represented a private real estate investment firm in a joint venture (as capital partner) with a multifamily developer (as operating partner), with co-investment from two LPs, to acquire a 474-unit apartment building in Houston, Texas from an institutional seller, with acquisition and repositioning financing from a local bank.
Mintz represented Menlo Equities, a private, vertically integrated commercial real estate investment firm, in its acquisition of 8 data centers and an 80% interest in a ninth from a partnership between an asset management company and a real estate investment company for approximately $487 million.
Daniel Guggenheim and Michel Soejoto represented Northwood Investors in a complex real estate acquisition that involved multiple purchase agreements, a complicated joint venture agreement, resolving litigation, and obtaining bankruptcy court approval.
Mintz closed a joint venture agreement and acquisition of a pre-permitted, mixed-use retail and residential development in Boston within a seven-day deadline. Mintz Real Estate, Corporate, Litigation, and Environmental attorneys worked on the deal.